The name of the award commemorates the founding of the Society in 1875, it takes the form of an individually engraved laser crystal.
One or two awards are made each year to recognise:
- an outstanding Hertfordshire naturalist, and/or
- someone who has made an outstanding contribution to natural history in Hertfordshire.
All members are invited to submit nominations for next year's 1875 Awards to Tim Hill.
Those nominated for awards will be judged against the following criteria:
- Contribution in a voluntary capacity
- Recognised expertise in their field
- Duration of contribution
- Key achievements eg publications, papers
- Training or educating others
- Championing conservation/natural history
- Nominees should normally be members of HNHS
The HNHS Management Committee will assess nominations and make the final decision.
The Awards are presented at the HNHS AGM and Autumn meeting in October or November.